Register or Login:

FAQ | Search ]

Best films so far in 05
Goto page Previous  1, 2

SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Hollywood Stop Reply to topic   Post new topic
Thom
Captain Tightpants

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number MSN Messenger

Post28 Sep 2005 11:19 am
Post subject:

Kernan wrote:
Now me personally I find it unseemly for corporations to spread their marketing in churches regardless of whether the product is religious in nature or not. That bulletin board in the church foyer is for bake sales, garage sales and baby pictures not movie posters.

You act as though the corporations should recognize the sanctity of a church or religious institution... Corporate America knows very few ethics aside from the bottom line. All they're trying to do is emulate the success of Passion's marketing. Personally, I wouldn't complain. I'm no churchgoer, but it looks as though studios are starting to consider more conservative audiences, which might mean more movies absent of gratuitous sex & ginormous explosions which... just get kinda old. Of course it'll probably also mean more sappy messages and guilt trips and other morality tales, but eh.

Quote:
Chronicles is likely to be a blockbuster no matter how they market it so is it to much to ask that the nations churches be the one place free of corporate advertising.

To some degree, churches have brought this on themselves. They've begun to really use movies (either in the mainstream or disguised as such) to promote their ideologies & culture... And I'm not just talking Passion. To lesser degrees, movies like Winn Dixie and... bah, phone call broke my train of thought. Oh, also, at least around here, there are LOTS and LOTS of direct-to-video Mormon/LDS movies circulating... "Bride & Prejudice" (2003) is probably the best-known example. So there's going to be some give & take... if churches use Hollywood, Hollywood gets to use the churches.
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post28 Sep 2005 12:15 pm
Post subject:

Yeah. There's more and more religious films that don't involve Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, or sex with demons/angels these days.

Some handle the material well in such a way everyone can enjoy it and some are just plain bad. But they're becoming more present...or rather becoming more present after a long absence.
Cinephile
Review Team Member

Post28 Sep 2005 03:27 pm
Post subject:

i think it's ok to market a religious themed film via churches.

church is not just about worship for them...it's a place to gather and socialize, etc. thus....marketing a religious themed film makes sense....they did it with passion of chirst and the left behind films. they probably just have bulliten boards set up and various fliers, etc.
Cinephile
Review Team Member

Post28 Sep 2005 03:36 pm
Post subject:

the New York Times is written by a bunch of shit heads. i try to stay away from it whenever possible.
Bachalon
Good Samaritan

Post28 Sep 2005 10:13 pm
Post subject:

For me so far it's been, Batman Begins, Sin City, Kung Fu Hustle, and The Aristocrats.

I'm looking forward to Kong, Serenity, Aeon Flux, Separate Lies, and a few others.

Man, I still need to see Virgin, 2046, and Broken Flowers.
Good Samaritan

Post28 Sep 2005 11:28 pm
Post subject:

I can't believe I forgot The Woods, and A History of Violence...
SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Hollywood Stop Reply to topic   Post new topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: