Register or Login:

FAQ | Search ]

SILENT HILL Now In Production
Goto page 1, 2  Next

SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> General Discussion Reply to topic   Post new topic
Hajile
Review Team Member

Post03 Jun 2005 08:03 am
Post subject: SILENT HILL Now In Production

This may very well be one of the very few video game-based films that's being anticipated with optimism. This is an article from gameindustry.biz:

Shooting begins on Silent Hill movie

Big screen version of Konami classic to star Sean Bean and Radha Mitchell

Principal photography has started on Silent Hill, the movie version of Konami's classic survival horror franchise, according to a report in US entertainment paper Variety.

The film will star Radha Mitchell - best known for her role in Pitch Black - as lead character Rose, a woman who finds herself exploring the mysterious town whilst searching for her missing daughter.

Sean Bean will play Rose's husband, and other cast members include Deborah Kara Unger (Crash, The Game) and Kim Coates (Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbour).

Christopher Gans, whose previous work includes cult French horror Brotherhood of the Wolf, is directing, and the script has been written by Roger Avary, director of Killing Zoe and The Rules of Attraction. Avary jointly received a Best Original Screenplay Oscar with Quentin Tarantino for Pulp Fiction.

A budget of $45-50 million has been set aside for the TriStar Pictures production, which will go on general release next year. The film is being made in association with Konami Corp.

"Konami sold over 4 million units of the Silent Hill trilogy of games, and I'm thrilled that they have entrusted me with this valuable franchise," said producer Samuel Hadida.

Hadida previously co-produced two film versions of Resident Evil and is currently working on a sequel, along with a big screen adaptation of the Onimusha franchise.

Photos of the SILENT HILL set

View Complete Gallery of 56 Photos:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/gallery27.htm
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post03 Jun 2005 09:32 am
Post subject:

I can't fucking believe they cast Sean "I am awesomeness" Bean and they're making him take a back fucking seat to a woman lead.

I also just noticed that they changed his name to Christopher. 2 days ago he was listed as Harry, who is the main character of the first game. So now not only did they piss me off by usurping the main character with a wife they didn't exist, they just changed his name to try to pass it off. Everyone else in the movie has the same name....Cybil, Dahlia, Alessa.

Freakin bullshit.

They'll have to do quite a bit of good to make up for this.
Wordslinger
Seedling

Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post03 Jun 2005 09:50 am
Post subject:

I think most of the films sucess is going to depend on the visual elements. I hope they are able to convey the gritty atmosphere of Silent Hill in an appropriately convincing way.
Reel Monkey
Corn-Star

Post03 Jun 2005 10:55 am
Post subject:

I also am now irked by the film, because i'm tired of women leads, especially when the game already has a male lead. Now time to the delete the somewhat excited post in the other thread. Razz

(P.S. Hey.. about that quadry thread, didn't mean to delete your hard work, but... I figured it out and figured my own stupidity shouldn't be broadcasted like that. Razz THANKS THOUGH!!!)

Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post03 Jun 2005 04:03 pm
Post subject:

Wow, it looks like Silent Hill. Minus the darkness (except for those couple of shots) and the fog.

Also, yeah, fuck female leads.
Review Team Member

Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post14 Jun 2005 06:57 pm
Post subject:

Careful of the feminazis seeing that. Very Happy

I'm wildly excited about this film. On the small chance that its a perfect adaptation (5%), it'll be the greatest thing the horror genre has seen in quite some time. Otherwise, I'm expecting it be merely good.
Bachalon
Good Samaritan

Post20 Dec 2005 11:27 pm
Post subject:

Well, yer in luck, mah friend, 'cause I happen to have a hotlink to the trailer right here.

It's only the barest of teasers, but if the movie is actually like this, it could rock my socks, holes and all.
Corn-Star

Post20 Dec 2005 11:32 pm
Post subject:

Agreed. Super lean teaser. So lean it pisses me off...but it shows....potential.

Still irked at the female lead though. I call shenanigans.
Notelgnis

Post21 Dec 2005 12:42 am
Post subject:

Wait a minute, what the hell is pyramid head doing in there???
Corn-Star

Post21 Dec 2005 01:03 am
Post subject:

Notelgnis wrote:
Wait a minute, what the hell is pyramid head doing in there???

Haha. I should have known you'd mention that.

Bach and I already discussed that little gem. I don't know how to feel about it myself.
Bachalon
Good Samaritan

Post21 Dec 2005 01:09 am
Post subject:

Yeah, this looks like some strange amalgamation of the first two games. What Gans doesn't realize (despite being a fan) is that the enemies were made for the protagnist; they were all symbolic somehow.
Review Team Member

Post27 Dec 2005 11:36 pm
Post subject:

http://translatedmemories.com/book.html

Any true Silent Hill fan should read that.

You are right, Pyramid Head is specific to James in Silent Hill 2 for the certain guilt and need to punish himself.

I am impressed, but I still think it needs a whole lot less lighting. Someone had an image I should post.

Post03 Jan 2006 05:20 pm
Post subject:

I'm sure it get nice and dark when it comes out.

Should be good.. i got my hopes up.
Review Team Member

Post03 Jan 2006 07:17 pm
Post subject:

Did I mention it needs a LOT more red in the color scheme? Its what I remember about the Silent Hills, it looked like everything was covered in blood.

Post20 Jan 2006 02:24 pm
Post subject:

First official trailer.

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1401398&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400

Post20 Jan 2006 10:08 pm
Post subject:

Well, it looks interesting... but I was tired of the woman before the trailer was even half finished... and the split secondflash of pyramid head still has me concerned. Although overall I thought the monsters looked great, even if everything was crystal clear.

Fun take on the fog. More "believable" to a movie audience than "oh the town is just covered in fog." Can anyone who is really up on their SH lore tell me if there really WAS a big fire in the town's history?

Also, I didn't realize the husband was also going to go into SH and look for the wife who replaced him. Thats an interesting way to combine 1 & 2 i guess.

Edited: for language.
Corn-Star

Post21 Jan 2006 03:19 pm
Post subject:

Wow....I still dislike that they replaced Harry with a bitch, but judging solely from the trailer it really seems like Gans cares about the games.

Seems really true to the first game. Motherfucking trailer even uses music from the game!

My hopes have risen a bit.
Notelgnis

Post24 Jan 2006 08:12 am
Post subject:

Notelgnis wrote:
Can anyone who is really up on their SH lore tell me if there really WAS a big fire in the town's history?

Haha, the fire where Alessa was burned, duh. I'm an idiot.
Browncoat

Post25 Jan 2006 01:13 pm
Post subject:

I'm cautiously excited. Loved the games, but not entirely hopeful about its translation to the big screen. Hoping that I am proved wrong and that it will, in fact, rock. *please* Smile
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post25 Jan 2006 01:16 pm
Post subject:

zeitgeist wrote:
I'm cautiously excited. Loved the games, but not entirely hopeful about its translation to the big screen. Hoping that I am proved wrong and that it will, in fact, rock. *please* Smile

At least this is being made by someone competent (i.e. Not Uwe Boll). I didn't particularly care for Brotherhood of the Wolf, but Chris Gans actually seems to be a fairly talented filmmaker.
SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> General Discussion Reply to topic   Post new topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: