Register or Login:

FAQ | Search ]

Keep On Rockin'!

SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> General Discussion Reply to topic   Post new topic
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post22 Aug 2005 11:19 am
Post subject: Keep On Rockin'!

With the rollout of V3, I thought I'd pile on some more good news!

According to Alexa.com we have broken the top 500,000 sites on the internet. Woo! (It actually is currently fluctuating between 522,000 and 489,000 but Alexa is funny that way. Either way, considering just a few months ago we had broken into the top 900,000 and 2+ years ago we were 3 million or something, we are doing awesome. According to Alexa we've climbed 250,000 in 3 months and PAGE VIEWS have skyrocketed 228%....you know what that means right folks? That means people aren't just clicking links to SP and leaving. They're hanging out and browsing around. That's exactly what we want. Your hard work and dedication is paying off and for that Monkey and Thom and I are truly thankful.

Here are some boss stats for you to pat yourselves on the back for as well:

Current August stats:
Unique Visitors: 22587
Number of Visits: 116863
Pages Visited: 253826
Overall Hits: 401504

May and June we had 37,500 UNIQUE hits and March we had 40,000 UNIQUE hits

Best 7 day span of recent was in July when when we got 16,000 unique hits.

People enjoy browsing S-P from Noon-3 the most, though we're pretty consistent all day long (even in the dead of night). Sunday, Monday, Tuesday are our biggest days.

Basically, our goal remains the same. Keep providing good content and break that 100,000 Barrier.
GandalfTheWhite
Review Team Member

Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post22 Aug 2005 01:13 pm
Post subject:

Were gonna be huge someday! Smile
Bachalon
Good Samaritan

Post22 Aug 2005 06:37 pm
Post subject:

Outstanding. Anything else we can do to promote traffic?
Giggity Giggity Giggity

Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post22 Aug 2005 06:40 pm
Post subject:

Awesome! Very Happy
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post22 Aug 2005 06:44 pm
Post subject:

Bachalon wrote:
Outstanding. Anything else we can do to promote traffic?

Eh...all we ask you of you guys is to feel free to namedrop the site whenever applicable. But you don't need to be part of any grass roots promotional campaign for the site or anything. Monkey does a great job of that herself both off and online and she and I network with festival folk and promotional groups and even some industry people from time to time and I'm sure Thom has his southwest area covered.

If you post your reviews in other places, link to SP. If you talk about movies with folks, mention SP. If you hang out at other forums, sig SP. Whatever you want to do. Nothing is required, everything is appreciated.

As great as some of the steps we've made to cement our professionalism offline in different ways, a huge part of our growth is just our increasing dependency and consistent quality. That's what matters most.
Thom
Captain Tightpants

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number MSN Messenger

Post02 Sep 2005 03:52 pm
Post subject:

Macabre Stalker wrote:
Eh...all we ask you of you guys is to feel free to namedrop the site whenever applicable.

Oh, this reminds me. When you're name-dropping online, like putting a link in your sig at another board or something, make sure to write it out like this:

Text:
SMART-POPCORN.com
URL:
http://www.smart-popcorn.com

Don't forget the hyphen... Yes, we do control both the hyphenated and unhyphenated domains, but for "branding" purposes, it's important that we remain consistent.

And don't simply refer to the site as "Smart Popcorn" or "Smart-Popcorn". "Smart Popcorn" is a term used in the ratings scales, not a nickname for the site itself. If we take off the dot-com, we risk running into copyright infringement with Orville Redenbacher, who sells a low-calorie "Smart Pop" popcorn. (For the record, the popcorn sucks. Get the theatre-butter stuff.) And anyway, because we ARE a dot-com, every time we refer to the site as SMART-POPCORN.com is free advertising.
Thom
Captain Tightpants

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number MSN Messenger

Post25 Sep 2005 08:55 pm
Post subject:

Ahem... According to our RevSys stats (which only count visits to actual SP content pages or forum pages--no images or RSS feeds or what not), we've crossed the 400,000 visitors mark. We've more than tripled last year's visits (130k) and we're on pace to reach about 550k by the year's end... that's over half a million visits! Very Happy
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post25 Sep 2005 09:54 pm
Post subject:

Thom wrote:
Ahem... According to our RevSys stats (which only count visits to actual SP content pages or forum pages--no images or RSS feeds or what not), we've crossed the 400,000 visitors mark. We've more than tripled last year's visits (130k) and we're on pace to reach about 550k by the year's end... that's over half a million visits! Very Happy

Awesome. I was looking at the siteworx stats, and I noticed that several thousand people for the month of Sept. have sat on SP for over an hour on their visits, and several more thousand have hung out for 30 minutes to an hour. That's pretty cool I think, even though MOST visits are still cursory click throughs.
Thom
Captain Tightpants

Post20 Oct 2005 08:00 am
Post subject:

Ahem... Google now has us as a PageRank of 5. Smile
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post20 Oct 2005 09:47 am
Post subject:

Thom wrote:
Ahem... Google now has us as a PageRank of 5. Smile

I've gathered by comparing this to some of our competition that this is pretty good. Film Threat is 6, even Joblo is only 5.

But....what does it mean exactly?
Nate
Earned his PhD in Boll-istics

Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post20 Oct 2005 09:56 am
Post subject:

Macabre Stalker wrote:

But....what does it mean exactly?

My thoughts exactly.
Captain Tightpants

Post20 Oct 2005 10:41 am
Post subject:

Like the Alexa ranking, it's simply an indication of our relative popularity on the net. The difference is that Alexa ranks traffic, Google ranks linkage (the number and weight of links leading to our website from other sites).

Interesting thing is that our Podcast page already has a PR of 4, which is pretty good considering it's rather indirectly buried from our frontpage right now. My guess is all the links from various podcast directories are boosting that page, which has in turn boosted the rest of the site. That Internet Entertainment Writers' Association link probably helps us out too.

On a mathematical note... PageRank is a roughly logarithmic scale, though nobody knows what the log base is. In simple terms this means our linkage is roughly 10% of what Film Threat's is, rather than... 83% as one might imagine. (That assumes a log base of 10... It could be higher or lower.)
Sunfist
Seedling

Send private message Visit poster's website

Post25 Jan 2006 12:10 pm
Post subject:

I'm always name-droppin' the site, bra. People are always like, "So, Sunfist, why do you hate movie critics so much?" and I'm all, "Oh! Let me give you an example!"

Wink
Corn-Star

Post25 Jan 2006 12:15 pm
Post subject:

Sunfist wrote:
I'm always name-droppin' the site, bra. People are always like, "So, Sunfist, why do you hate movie critics so much?" and I'm all, "Oh! Let me give you an example!"

Wink

So sorry we didn't all love Sin City Razz
Sunfist
Seedling

Post25 Jan 2006 12:15 pm
Post subject:

Macabre Stalker wrote:
Sunfist wrote:

Wink

So sorry we didn't all love Sin City Razz

Laughing
Browncoat

Post25 Jan 2006 01:10 pm
Post subject:

As a n00b I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the site so far and congrats Smile Here's to breaking that 100,000 barrier!
Macabre Stalker
Corn-Star

Post25 Jan 2006 01:18 pm
Post subject:

zeitgeist wrote:
As a n00b I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the site so far and congrats Smile Here's to breaking that 100,000 barrier!

Thanks a bunch. We've actually come a ways since the last update in this thread. I guess it got posted somewhere else on the forum, but we're floating at around 180,000 right now for the past 3 month span and since Christmas we've been between 50-80,000. Great stuff.
zeitgeist
Browncoat

Post25 Jan 2006 01:26 pm
Post subject:

Fantastic Smile Just familarizing myself with the place so I may stumble on some slightly old news here and there. Thanks for the heads up!
Sunfist
Seedling

Post26 Jan 2006 03:21 pm
Post subject:

As a n00b, I just wanted to say: Blizergafordinginglemox.

It's a fun word.
SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> General Discussion Reply to topic   Post new topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: