SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Critical Point Reply to topic   Post new topic
MotionPictures
Review Team Member

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post29 Mar 2006 05:53 pm
Post subject: Harrison Ford in Firewall

Sean Kernan states:

"It's been a tough millenium for Harrison Ford."

I agree, and I'd go a little further, with a similar theory: Harrison Ford hasn't had a good movie since his mid-life crisis.

Instead of growing old gracefully, Ford, who was always superb and seemed to handle himself maturely, suddenly decided he needed to return to a younger, sexier image. Symptoms including dumping his wife of several years, getting a young piece of arm candy, getting an EAR PIERCING!, getting a haircut and dyejob, and starring in silly pieces of fluff like "Hollywood Homicide" and "6 Days, 7 Nights."

He should have stayed with his wife, let his hair follow its natural color scheme, skipped the ear piercing, and taken roles that fit his autumn-years persona. I think he'd still be a hit. After all, my wife STILL swoons over Sean Connery, who has got to be, what, 150 by now? With no arm candy (except in the movies he appears in), no hair job (barely any hair anyway), and no ear piercing.

(Flamers: I am not objecting to ear piercing. But when a man who has passed over the hill gets one in an attempt to rejuvenate his image, it's silly.)
Kernan
Review Team Member

Send private message Send e-mail

Post29 Mar 2006 06:18 pm
Post subject:

You know that is interesting. Consider for a moment that Ford is going through a crisis that more often strikes an actress at say age 40 to 45 where competing with 20 something actresses begins to take it's toll. Sharon Stone is currently coping with this age crisis by taking off all of her clothes in Basic Instinct. Meg Ryan dealt with it the same way in In The Cut. Let's hope Harrison keeps his pants on in future films.
The main difference is the age at which the crisis takes hold. For an actor like Ford it's in his late fifties and early sixties. For actresses it's the early to mid 40's. Call it the Hollywood sexism theory.
When you think about it Harrison Ford having a crisis about his looks, Michael Douglas similarly attempting to play younger than he is and Mel Gibson simply reaching an advanced age (by Hollywood standards advanced age means passing 50) and losing his mind, the male midlife crisis is kind of a step forward. Before it was only women who dealt publicly with the age crisis.
In the future maybe Paul Walker will hit mid forties and want to keep making Fast and the Furious. No, wait that has nothing to do with this topic. That was a nightmare I once had.
Review Team Member

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post29 Mar 2006 09:51 pm
Post subject:

I wonder if maybe actors are better off being "discovered" later in life. I think of Ian McKellen, Jim Broadbent, Tommy Lee Jones ...

Yes, they had all worked in films for a long time, but real fame didn't hit until long after their theoretical prime. They and many others are bankable despite nearing rigor mortis.
SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Critical Point Reply to topic   Post new topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: