FAQ | Search ]

The first fiction 9/11 movie trailer is up

SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Hollywood Stop Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nate
Earned his PhD in Boll-istics

Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post06 Jan 2006 04:04 pm
Post subject: The first fiction 9/11 movie trailer is up

Director Paul Greengrass' account of Flight 93's heroics now has a trailer and a release date at the end of April. Before, I would have thought that any 9/11 movie would be waaaaaaay too soon, as the images and feelings are fresh and burned into almost everyone's memories. Then I saw the trailer and it is a damn fine piece of advertising, because it neither feels political or exploitative. I even had a tiny lump in my throat. I trust Greengrass, especially with how he handled Bloody Sunday, so what does everyone else think of the prospect of this movie?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/flight93/
Captain Tightpants

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number MSN Messenger

Post06 Jan 2006 04:20 pm
Post subject:

Agreed, it is a good trailer. It builds on the premise that while we know what the film is going to be about, we're clueless and completely ill-prepared to guess what it's going to be like. I also get the impression it's going to be more about the internalization of the feelings of dread/resolve/etc. that the passengers must've gone through, than about big Michael Bay-esque thrilling heroics (not that this could ever ultimately be a Michael Bay sort of film).
Reel Monkey
Corn-Star

Post06 Jan 2006 06:57 pm
Post subject: Re: The first fiction 9/11 movie trailer is up

Nate wrote:
Director Paul Greengrass' account of Flight 93's heroics now has a trailer and a release date at the end of April. Before, I would have thought that any 9/11 movie would be waaaaaaay too soon, as the images and feelings are fresh and burned into almost everyone's memories. Then I saw the trailer and it is a damn fine piece of advertising, because it neither feels political or exploitative. I even had a tiny lump in my throat. I trust Greengrass, especially with how he handled Bloody Sunday, so what does everyone else think of the prospect of this movie?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/flight93/

Awesomeness, but I can't trust Greengrass when he really tanked Supremacy. Bloody Sunday was decent enough, but there's just so many flaws to his style that I find off-putting.

RM
Review Team Member

Post14 Jan 2006 10:54 pm
Post subject:

i liked Supremecy.

I doubt if any 911 films will be good.

I didn't like the trailer.
The Xenos
Seedling

Post29 Mar 2006 01:48 pm
Post subject:

Call me a paranoid nutjob that belonds with The Lone Gunmen or The Question, but I still don't trust what out government says about 9/11. Now I don't belive like Charly Sheen that parts of the government blew up the twin towers, but I also am not willing to fully write it off. At the very least the government is looking to take as little blame as possible. I'm sure it uses 9/11 and whatever Al Qaida evidence it finds and twists it to further it's wars in the middle east. Afganistan. Iraq. Get your bags packed we're going to Iran next, boys! ()

Anyway, I feel that in a still questionable political landscape, such films only serve as progovenrment propaganda. I want a counter film showing how our government is at fault for 9/11, through inaction (which is pretty much what I am sure of) or through the action of some faction's crazy conspiracy. I want to see them say that our current route of making government bigger and making the state more security focused because of 9/11 is a mistake. Sure, V for Vendetta was nice, yet if people can make this propaganda about 9/11 directly, I'd like to hear some different and even just plain crazy opinions. Though with Oliver Stone coming to bat with one, that should be interesting.

I'd also suggest a movie like Palestine's Paradise Now, a realistic and human tale about suicide bombers. They're not the card carying bad guys the administration wants you to think they are. Is what they do wrong? I belive so, but they're not comepetely wrong and should be listened to.
Kernan
Review Team Member

Send private message Send e-mail

Post29 Mar 2006 06:30 pm
Post subject:

Incidentally the title of the upcoming 9/11 movie has changed from Flight 93 to United 93. Call that a marketing conspiracy. Xenos I would not hold your breath about seeing any alternative take on 9/11. Even the supposedly subversive Mr. Stone is promising a jinoistic, rah rah, ain't we the greatest country in the workd take on 9/11.
However, this is no conspiracy. It's not propaganda. It's business. Give the people what they want. No one wants to see liberal Hollywood blame the government for 9/11. They want reassurance of our bravery and courage and that is exactly what we will get in 9/11 movies.
If you want subversive content, aternative viewpoints and the like then keep an on foreign films which live outside the fear of reprisal from moviegoing Americans. Movies like Paradise Now that ask questions no one wants asked. Movies like Cache or Head On where disturbing even absurdist paranoia is allowed to reign and ambiguity is not just allowed but encouraged.
Hollywood can be quite brave when it wants to be, check Brokeback Mountain or Syriana two very brave pictures. However on the subject of 9/11 that bravery will take a backseat to reminding everyone first of exactly what happened in the journalistic faux documentary style of Paul Greengrass. That will be closely followed by Stone's reminder of how great we all are for being Americans. Not that it's not great to be an American, IT IS, but we need not be reminded of it constantly. That I'm afraid will be the purpose of future films about 9/11.
Seedling

Post30 Mar 2006 10:35 am
Post subject:

Acutally, there is a small film going around the internet. It accuses some part of the govenrment and the current administration for being behind 9/11.

While I don't fully belive it, I think it's something that does need to be looked into. We cannot just assume what the government says about 9/11 to be true, especially when a global war is being waged with 9/11 as the excuse. There is too much money and power being made out of this. Things are fishy. At the very least we were failed by our government and really should not be giving them more power. They should be cleaning themselves up first, not asking for more power over us. At the very worst, factions within our government caused it.

http://www.loosechange911.com/
Kernan
Review Team Member

Post02 Apr 2006 02:09 pm
Post subject: Too Soon

Newsweek is asking the question and so are many moviegoers in New York is it too soon for 9/11 movies......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12112802/site/newsweek
Review Team Member

Send private message AIM Address

Post02 Apr 2006 05:18 pm
Post subject:

I hate Hollywood. This blatant propaganda, and it's taking a horrible event in our history and glamourizing it. I won't be seeing this film.
Kernan
Review Team Member

Post25 Apr 2006 03:23 pm
Post subject:

As we near the opening of United 93 it's time to ask the question that our friend Billy D has already answered definitively for himself. Will you be seeing United 93? In my critical capacity I can't miss it but I think even if it weren't part of my chosen profession I would still see the film. What about you? Are you seeing United 93 this weekend?
Captain Tightpants

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number MSN Messenger

Post25 Apr 2006 07:42 pm
Post subject:

Eh... I dunno. I sympathize with the notion that this sort of movie is exploitative and in poor taste...

Then again, if we can fight a war because of 9/11, if we can justify sidestepping the Geneva convention and international policy, if we can allow it to not only dictate national policy--but more or less eclipse other issues--for five years, then really, what's a movie?

IMHO, Paul Greenglass seems to be taking a very respectful and respectable approach to the movie. I've read some of his interviews and can appreciate his attitude about documentary subjects, much more so than certain other filmmakers. I'm mildly intrigued to see Flight 93.

Oliver Stone's movie, on the other hand, I've no interest in. He appears to have run out of things to say a good long time ago.
Seedling

Send private message MSN Messenger

Post25 Apr 2006 09:41 pm
Post subject: Pushing the 'official story'

I have to agree with Xenos, the movies coming out this year look to push the 'official' story about 9/11 that pretty much most of the world isn't buying. What I think will be interesting is when we get the first director who will have the minerals to make a movie that doesn't fall in line with the version of 9/11 that the government has been ramming down our throats for four years. That is when it will hit the proverbial fan. That's a movie I would like to watch, one that dosen't buy the whole story and poke holes into it, much like Stone did with 'JFK' in 1991. That is the kind of 9/11 movie that I hope to one day see.

Vinny

Last edited by vinnyg on 10 May 2006 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos
Seedling

Post27 Apr 2006 08:28 pm
Post subject:

I don't like the TV ad I just saw. They kept repeating that they saved "the nation's Capital". They even had a terroirst with an image of the damn buidling in the trailer.

Last time I checked, that was one theory. They just turned this moive into *(#$ing goverment propaganda.

It sadly did sound decent as they had actual air traffic controlers int he film playing themsleves. Maybe if they stayed on that and off the plane and out of fiction and focused on them, I would go see it. Sadly this movie appears to assume too much.
Kernan
Review Team Member

Post04 May 2006 05:22 am
Post subject:

Martin Grove in the Hollywood Reporter is beginning the drumbeat for United 93 Oscar campaign......

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/grove.jsp
Review Team Member

Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post04 May 2006 08:34 pm
Post subject:

Kernan wrote:
Hollywood can be quite brave when it wants to be, check Brokeback Mountain or Syriana two very brave pictures.

...Except that both of those films were released by independent wings of Hollywood studios, and both were released extremely limited to big cities first, to see if anyone would bite. Bravery would have been diving right in and giving a wide release to either of those films. Same for Capote and Good Night and Good Luck, which both opened in big cities. Big cities across the board are populated with a majority of liberals and Democrats, so opening four films in the very places where they are guaranteed a good reception is borderline cowardice.

Even more important than pushing any agenda is Hollywood's desire to earn money for the stockholders. Syriana never came to my town, and Good Night and Good Luck didn't last long - farm/ranch/conservative area here. As a business machine, Hollywood wisely didn't spend a lot of money getting those films into my local theaters.

So I can't believe that Hollywood is really kowtowing to the government by releasing a flag-waving piece of heroism about United 93. They're releasing a flag-waving piece of heroism because they know it makes people feel good, and more importantly makes people inclined to see it again so they can feel good again. They're making something that they hope will sell. Unlike Syriana.
SMART-POPCORN.com Forum Index -> Hollywood Stop Reply to topic   Post new topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: